On November 25, Russia again committed an act of aggression against Ukraine, attacking naval ships of Ukraine in the Kerch Strait. This fact is another proof of a full-scale war against Ukraine by the criminal regime of Russia. President Poroshenko appealed to the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine with a proposal to declare martial law for 60 days on the entire territory of Ukraine.
The European Party of Ukraine has repeatedly insisted on the necessity of the imposing of martial law in 2014 after the annexation of the Crimea, after breakout operations in Debaltsevo and Ilovaisk, after the downing of the transport IL-76 in Lugansk and passenger flight MH-17. We are confident that the imposing of a martial law in 2014 could prevent thousands of military and civilian casualties, occupation of Ukrainian territories.
In addition, the European Party of Ukraine initiated the establishment of a reservist army in the spring of 2014, which would significantly improve the country’s defense capability. Mykola Katerynchuk registered the bill in the Parliament, immediately after the annexation of the Crimea.
Nevertheless, in 2014, the President shifted away from such an important decision for the state, announced the holding of an Anti-Terroristic Operation and promised to end it within a few weeks.
The Parliament yesterday adjusted the presidential decree by adopting a bill on the imposing of martial law in only ten regions of Ukraine and for only 30 days and voted for the holding of presidential election on March 31, 2019.
The European Party of Ukraine demands from the President, the Prime Minister and the Parliament of Ukraine:
– to inform the society about measures that will increase the country’s defense capability, eliminate the threat to national security, and its implementation;
– to prevent unjustified violations of human rights in ten regions of Ukraine, in which the military status will be introduced on November 28, 2019;
– to take all necessary measures to ensure that the declaring of a martial law does not lead to a deterioration of the economic situation. The decision of the authorities yesterday provoked national currency devaluation, fall of Ukrainian stocks and Eurobonds;
– to address the signatories of the Budapest Memorandum, in particular the United States and the United Kingdom, to immediately assess Russia’s encroachments on the territorial integrity of Ukraine and protect Ukraine;
– to immediately lift the martial law in case of the failure of authority to act;
– to ensure the holding of the presidential election in Ukraine on March 31, 2019.
The European Party of Ukraine will not allow the use of mechanisms of martial law status only for the purpose of coup d’état, delaying the holding of the presidential election in Ukraine, restricting freedom of expression and prohibiting demonstrations.
of the European Party of Ukraine